Nutritional Supplement Glossary [ Part 1 - Proteins, Aminos and Isolates ]

Amino Acids Concentrate isolate whey protein

Have you spent time researching nutritional supplements? Are you feeling overwhelmed at everything that’s available? Whether you want to gain muscle or trim down, there are specific supplements tailored to help you achieve your health and body goals. But chances are, you are constantly bombarded with terminology that can be somewhat confusing: "How in the world am I supposed to know what an Isolate is?" "Why are Aminos so important?" Here's a much needed breakdown -- a glossary of sorts -- for the basics of some of the most common supplemental nutrition products, ingredients and terminology.

Protein

One of the most beneficial functions of protein is building and repairing muscle tissue. An intense workout can cause tiny tears in the muscles making protein essential to recovery and performance. The suggested average daily amount for 18 - 30 year olds is five to six ounces of protein, however, this varies depending on age, gender and activity level. Protein is a “macronutrient” that helps our body perform, communicate, and heal from everyday life and should be a core component to our daily diet.

Whey Protein vs. Casein Protein

Whey and Casein are the two major proteins found in milk. The biggest difference in these two milk proteins is the rate in which they are digested by the body. Whey protein is a fast-digested protein while Casein is a slow-digested protein. The difference in digestion time allows specific amino acids to be released at different rates.

Amino Acids 

Amino acids are the basic, organic component of proteins. As protein is digested in the body, amino acids are left behind to perform the key roles of proteins, such as muscle growth and repair as well as aiding in breaking down other foods. Amino acids are classified into three groups: conditional, nonessential, and essential. Conditional amino acids aid the body during sickness, nonessential amino acids support brain function and remove toxins from the body, and essential amino acids are needed for maximum health and wellness. There is a general focus on essential amino acids as they cannot be produced organically within the body and have to be obtained by eating foods that contain these amino acids or using specialty supplements. ETB Bare Aminos deliver the perfect formulation to ensure that muscle growth and repair starts immediately. You train hard and Bare Aminos help you win the fight against damage done by intense training.

Isolate vs. Concentrate

The main difference between isolates and concentrates is that isolates are a more pure form of protein. With concentrates, 80% of the formula is protein while the other 20% typically consists of carbohydrates, fat, and cholesterol. An isolate formula is anywhere from 90-92% protein with most of the non-protein components being filtered out even more. Both forms of proteins have specific benefits. For example, isolates have a lower lactose content, which benefits those who are lactose intolerant. On the other hand, concentrates require a longer digestion cycle, which means it keeps satisfies hunger for a longer period of time. Isolates are ideal for athletes who are looking for quick recovery and higher protein levels, whereas concentrates are helpful to those who have weight loss goals.

That’s just a small glimpse into the world of nutritional supplements. Eat the Bear prides itself on being the clean, lean supplement option for those with an active lifestyle. Our products provide great sources of protein, energy, recovery, and wellness supplements that enable you to live your best life.

Check out all of the great things we have done with 5 or less ingredients.

Sources: 

www.healthyeating.org

www.webmd.com

ghr.nlm.nih.gov

www.medlineplus.gov

www.kaizennaturals.com



Older Post Newer Post